May 28, 2011


April 22nd, 2011 Part1 @Manila
Sweating a lot….It’s how to spend April in Manila.
Visited one of the vendors of Jeepney with a director of the organization, Reah and an intern Simon. Her house was twenty-minute tricycle trip from where I stay.
Began selling this magazine since March 2008, Ate Mely seems really enjoying this job. The 46-year-old lady left her home at the age of 7, with her grandmother to get a job here in Manila. “I came here full of hope, however, life didn’t change that much. I only ate a meal per a day at that time,” she says.
At the age of 12, she began working as a barker, and has been working so hard since then.
“Selling Jeepey helps making my life more stable. I also feel so honored to sell this at shopping mall where is so clean and with air-conditioner.”
As soon as I asked about her dream, it brought her to tears. “I have sons and daughters, however, life on the street make my family apart. My dream is so simple. I hope all my children grow healthy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment